Norton Free Antivirus is probably the best known and respected in the world. Norton covers almost every kind of attack you can get. So what is wrong with it?
Before this guided tour through Norton’s, there may be a few words that need explaining. Internet security is full of jargon and the deeper you go into it, the more technical it becomes.
This is not a highly technical review so please sit back and enjoy it.
I hope to give you a bird’s eye view of internet threats and why we need internet protection.
Product Name: Norton’s Antivirus / Internet Security
Price: See pricing below.
Owner: Symantec Corporation
Norton Antivirus Free, Overview
What are the Dangers on the Internet? Here is a brief list of the dangers there are:
- Virus Attack
- Malware giving control to an outside person.
- Information theft
- Data corruption
- Trojan Horses
- Fake websites and emails
- Ransom Ware
This is by no means the lot but I think it is enough to consider protecting yourself.
A virus is a piece of software that is sneaked onto your device that can
- Harm your device
- Steal information
- Destroy files, photos
- Encrypt (encode) your files and demand money before unlocking them all.
- Delete files which are essential to your device so that it crashes.
Norton’s Free Antivirus claims to protect you against all of this and more.
These are mini programs that the bad guys try to infect your device with to get information or disrupt your safety on the net. They often just sit and wait for something specific to happen before they become active.
Ransom Ware is where your files will all be locked and a message will arrive telling you that you have a certain number of hours to pay money to get your files unlocked. If you do not pay, your files will be deleted and your phone scrambled and unusable.
What is Free Norton Antivirus About?
Norton, like other antivirus software, collects databases of viruses and malware. This way, Norton’s can quickly identify these bad boys and delete or quarantine them to protect your system.
There are so many ways a device like a PC or tablet can get infected with a virus or malware that Norton Antivirus uses different techniques to protect you.
You want an Antivirus to run quietly in the background, protecting you and your activities so that you go about your business with no anxieties.
This is about the different types of threat that Norton Free Security protects you from.
What Does Free Norton Security Do?
It runs like a tight-knit security firm watching for attacks from any quarter.
You can choose Norton Security knowing that Norton has been around a long time and knows the kind of threats there are.
Norton free trials on all their products and you will see how easy it is for you to use them using the free trial.
There are several tops ranked Antivirus and Security programs on the market which constantly come out tops in the technical tests.
Norton also offers
- Family Packages
- Mobile Security
- Business Packages and instant device check and virus removal.
Norton Internet Security can protect your device from accessing dangerous websites, from losing your personal data and generally keep you safe on the net.
Norton Mobile Security
As with all the big Internet security forms now, Norton offers specific software for phones and tablets.
We use our smartphones as much as we do other devices these days to access the internet, buy and sell and use social media, we need to be careful.
Norton Anti-Virus Free
There is no doubt that Norton takes a risk claiming that you would be a 100% free of virus and malware if you use their Norton Internet Security. A company like Norton will only offer this because they really know what they are doing.
You can be Virus Free with Norton.
Remember that the Norton Internet Security includes the anti-virus.
The Norton Antivirus is a separate program or is included in the Norton Internet Security versions.
The Good in Norton’s Free Antivirus / Internet Security
- Norton Internet Security are probably the largest antivirus/internet security company in the world.
- Norton Internet Security are well established and know the potential threats well.
- Norton Internet Security offers free trials on their programs.
- Norton Internet Security is quite straightforward to use.
- Their more expensive versions of Norton Internet Security offer multiple device cover. This makes them much cheaper if you have several devices to install.
- See Pricing below.
- Norton Internet Security offers parental protection on the more expensive versions and also
- Smartphone tablet devices.
- All the Free Trials use the full version of that Norton package you are trialing.
The Bad in Norton Antivirus / Internet Security
- Norton Internet Security is a large program and can slow down your startup a bit.
- This is a small price to pay for this level of protection.
- It is not the cheapest of those top quality programs.
- No parental control on cheaper versions.
Who is Norton Free Antivirus for?
If you go on the net regularly.
- Use email.
- Browse the internet.
- Buy goods over the internet; Amazon, eBay etc.
- Download software, music or games.
You are vulnerable to security attacks. You would be wise to have some form of internet security.
Norton Free Antivirus or Free Internet Security is a good place to start.
Who is Norton Free Antivirus Not for?
- If you rarely go on the net.
- Never download anything.
- Never buy anything on the net.
Rarely browse or search on the net, then the bog standard Windows Defender and Windows Firewall may well be sufficient for your security needs.
Tutorials and Training in Free Norton Antivirus
There are a lot of sub-sections and FAQs in the website and Norton supply a range of video tutorials.
Here are some examples:
There are more videos, depending on what you are looking for.
I think this is useful because what is obvious and easy to understand by one person, can be a technical nightmare for another.
So much computer stuff comes with little or no instruction these days. We are all different and have different experiences to draw on.
Norton Customer Service
- In the UK:+44 20 7616 5600
- I could not find a number for outside the UK.
- https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/info for FAQs and general help.
- https://community.norton.com/en for the Norton Forum.
- https://community.norton.com/en/blogs for an up to date blog and what is happening in the world of Norton internet security.
- On Twitter: @NortonSupport
- There is a “live chat” available but you will have to submit a ticket from the website.
Click on “Live Chat” and you get this form to fill in:
Personally, I do not get the feeling of this being very “LIVE.” Maybe they get a lot of hoaxes??
There are standard typical question and answers in the FAQs which may sort some problems out.
Norton Internet Security Pricing
- As you can see there are some slight variations from one country to another.
- These prices for Norton are as of October 2018. Please check before you buy.
- You will need to note that prices, for Norton, vary for 1 and 2 years and if you decide to go for an annual prepaid offer, the price will probably go up on the next year’s renewal.
- In my experience, most companies, like Norton, offer a discount on renewal. They want to keep your custom after you have had their product for a year.
- Please check on the day you read about Norton Free internet security or antivirus, the prices on that day. These big companies have promotions from time to time and they do not last forever.
Norton Antivirus Balance Pros and Cons
- Be careful of comparison websites that claim they are ranking antivirus and internet security programmes. They often compare different versions of the software to encourage you to buy the one they get the best commission on.
- My policy is to give you the information on each anti-virus or internet security separately and you can then make your own choices. Pleas compare like for like from the companies own websites.
- Norton is undoubtedly one of the biggest and most reliable Antivirus and internet security companies in the world.
- Norton Internet free security is often bundled with new machines and major programs.
- This does not mean it is the best but it gets pretty close.
- So, for you, it means doing your own due diligence on the day you plan to buy or test out the trial to Check Norton websites in your country and sift out the best option and best price for yourself.
- Personally I find Norton a bit heavy handed and slows down the start up on my PCs. I think without the discounts Norton Antivirus is a bit on the expensive side.
- Norton Internet Security is a better buy because it covers so many other aspects of security, including the antivirus and the discounts tend to be bigger.
Norton’s Antivirus Scam or no Scam
There is no way this could be a scam but always check the URL of the site you are on before buying anything.
Verdict: Norton Free Internet Security, Recommended or Not?
I definitely recommend Norton Internet Security, free or paid versions.
As I said earlier: check out the current prices and see if you can get a discount by clicking on 1 or 2 years. This will always be cheaper than paying monthly.
Product Name: Norton Free Antivirus / Free Internet Security
Price: See pricing above.
Owner: Symantec Corporation
There are other excellent free and paid for programs: for example:
Some specialise in a permanently free version but these are often limited to Antivirus protection and leave quite a lot of your online activity exposed to risk.
Thank you for reading this review of Norton Free Internet Security. and I hope it helps you to decide which Internet Security you will buy.
This review is my personal opinion based on some years of experience and a lot of really excellent training. We welcome honest views of all kinds.
If you are interested in a genuine free trial of an excellent training platform towards becoming an independent Affiliate Marketer, click the button below. There is no obligation.